A detailed post on some astonishing Sacsayhuaman Peru Facts carefully curated by our local experts. Do you love mysterious places and buildings? Sacsayhuaman Fortress is an amazing building and it is one of the most mysterious places in the world. It nestles in the outskirts of Cusco, Peru.
Locals believe that more than twenty thousand men extracted the stones from quarries. The Incas carried the stones 20 kilometres up to the hill. It retains around 40 percent of the old structure. The complex holds a lot of mystery in itself.
Here are some Sacsayhuaman Peru Facts:
Where is Sacsayhuaman Fortress?
Sacsayhuaman is located two kilometres from the main Cusco square, 3700 meters above the sea level. The amazing landscape with a canopy of flora and fauna makes it even more beautiful. And if we talk about the falcons and llamas, they actually stand out.
This fortress temple complex has Inca architects which blend beautifully with the splendid landscape. In additon to this, the Incas are skilled stonemasons. This reflects in their architecture.
The setting of the block, fine cutting, chipping and sharp curves of the building is a real treat to the eyes.
What Does Sacsayhuaman Mean?
The literal meaning of Sacsayhuaman is a spot where the hawk is satiated. It also means the Royal Eagle. Sacsayhuaman derives its name because of the birds presence in there. The complex was a fortress and a ceremonial centre.
And it is true that the beauty and grandeur of this building make it majestic. It is a complex archaeological building. Sacsayhuaman Fortress sits amidst diverse flora and fauna.
Sacsayhuaman Fortress is located only 10 mins by car from the Plaza de Armas (in Cusco). It is 45 minutes by walking. One can also take a city tour to the archaeological site. You can get the entrance with the Tourist Ticket of Cusco.
Architecture of Fortress
Do you know that the wall is built with big stones. These are 5 meters in height. Yes, that is fact and these stones weigh around 125 tons.
According to the Peruvian chronicler Inca Garcilaso de la Vega, Sacsayhuaman is the biggest architectural work that the Incas constructed during its apogee. More to the point, the fortress has three terraces with walls of 18 meters.
What to See in Sacsayhuaman?
Sacsayhuaman has beautiful sites. The summits of Pachatusán, Ausangate and Cinca can be seen. These are very sacred to the Incas. Each sculpture holds a lot of meaning.
- The Towers – These towers are on the walls in zigzag. It is believed that this place had abundant water. The aqueducts runs even today.
- Muyucmarca – It is a building which holds historic importance.
- Paucarca – These are believed to store water. Presently this square-shaped structure is covered with dirt.
- Salamanca – It connects towers by tunnels. Today, its foundation can be seen as they were destroyed by Spaniards.
- The Walls – It is made by zigzag which is serrated platforms. These limestone walls fit together perfectly. The largest structure here weighs 128 tons. You will be astonished to know that Sacsayhuaman is the most mysterious places on the planet.
- The Door – The central and middle portion of bastions has these doors. The shape is trapezoidal and gives entry to the turret region. The doors have separate names: Wiracochapunku, Ajawanapunku and T’iopunku.
- Chicanas (Tunnels) – These are the tunnels in Sacsayhuaman. There are two underground caves. The smallest one tunnel is 15 meters and is a distraction for travellers. North of the complex has the largest tunnel.
Other Relevant Information:
Climate: It has a dry and temperature climate. The recorded average temperature falls around 12°c. The rainy season lasts from November to March and has heavier rainfall. What is more, the dry season is from April to October. Days are hot and nights are cold.
It Opens from 7 am to 6 pm
You will need a Cusco Tourist Ticket to enter the complex. The best option is to signup for a Cusco City Tour. The Cusco ticket gives you access to remarkable sites in the sacred Valley of Peru.
For ten days, 16 sites can be visited which is a steal deal. If you wish to see only certain sites, a partial ticket is available for this purpose.